Num Num

eat. cook. write.

July 01, 2011

Lollipop lamb with Zingy dressing


George took one look at this at this dish and said "Sis Carina, did you just get that from the abattoir?". Funny cat, that George. He likes his meat cooked through. I prefer my lamb to be super-tender, still red, but rested enough not to bleed. Medium rare is how it should be.

A friend forwarded me this recipe of Jamie Oliver's.. please see it here. I didn't see fit to barbecue for a lunch for just 2 tiny ladies so I did mine under the grill.

Also, I'm not really into shop- bought humus, so rather did it with crispy baby potatoes (cooked on the rack in the oven at 180 for about 40 minutes), along with pan fried tomatoes and asparagus squeezed with lemon juice and good olive oil.

I also made this zingy dressing: 

  • juice and zest of 1 lime
  • 5 olives, de-pipped and chopped finely
  • 2 tablespoons sundried tomato paste (from Waitrose) or you could just chop up a couple of sundreid tomatoes
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • salt and pepper
Whisk all of that together. The dressing was originally planned as a dressing for a salad of fennel, raw celeriac and celery... but it tasted so good on the lamb that it migrated across the platter to get drizzled over the meat. 

The lamb was purchased at Waitrose...just remember that when it comes in a packet the bones won't look so neat and clean- that takes some effort with a paring knife so do factor that in. I followed Jamie's recipe as far as the marinade is concerned, then I got some olive oil and butter very hot in a frying pan, and browned the rack on all sides. I finished it under the grill (exactly 8 minutes is perfect for medium rare, sorry George) and left it to rest under tinfoil for a good 5 minutes.

Better than a Fizzpop, hey? 

No comments: