Chilly chilli, mango and cucumber soup
- 2 mangos
- 4 baby cucumbers, or ¾ of a big one
- 1 red onion
- ½ green chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- Zest and juice one lime
- 200- 250ml clear apple juice
- Salt and pepper
- Handful coriander
- Roughly chop one and a half of the mangos and place in a blender. Cut the remainder into a nice dice and set aside
- Roughly chop the cucumber and sprinkle with salt. Place in a sieve over a bowl and leave for about 45 minutes to draw out the water
- Roughly chop half of the onion and add to the blender. Cut the other half finely and add to the diced mango.
- Add the chilli, and the lime juice and zest to the blender and whizz. Thin it down to your desired consistency and season to taste.
- Place in the freezer until cool. I let mine start to freeze around the edges, it’s that hot here. If you’re in a rush, place in a bowl inside a larger bowl full of ice to cool quickly.
- Just before serving, chop the coriander and add to the mango and red onion dice.
- Ladle soup into chilled bowls and place a dollop of the dice mixture in each.
* In hindsight, some ginger would be nice, as would a dash of fish sauce instead of salt and pepper. If you try it, let me know how it goes