Num Num

eat. cook. write.

January 16, 2011

Sunset Barcelona

Funny thing is: I've never been to Barcelona. Or Spain.

But I have seen some sunsets in my time. And some of them had the colours yellow, ruby red and brown in. Sort of.

Truth is: This recipe was conceived in faraway Barcelona and I figured I should attribute it. See, Mrs Y went there two years ago on holiday. She and Mister Y couldn't find the restaurant they were meant to go to, so they ducked into some little hidden treasure close to their hotel, and the chef produced something like this.

I tried to re- create it according to what Mrs Y told me about the dessert. I tried different layers. I tried to bake the orange jelly.  I considered using cornflour. And then this little creation popped out and got my tastebuds all in a tizz. You know how sublime dark chocolate and orange is? I have always raved about the flavour marriage. Henceforth I will always recommend a menage- a-trois with raspberry.


Sunset Barcelona

For the jelly:
  • zest of 2 oranges
  • 250ml freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 15ml castor sugar (leave out if your oranges are sweet enough)
  • 5ml powdered gelatine
  • 50ml water
For the mousse: 
  • 100g 50%-60% dark cocoa chocolate
  • 100g 70% dark chocolate
  • 60ml dark filter coffee
  • 1 tablespoon (15ml) butter
  • 3 eggs, separated
For the raspberry layer: 
  • 300g fresh, beautiful, bursting raspberries ( the only kind worth money)
  • 100g castor sugar
  • 30ml water
  • squeeze lemon juice
  1. Place the orange zest, juice and sugar (if using) in a sauce pan and warm up. 
  2. Place the 50ml water in a glass jusg and sprinkle the gelatine over. Nuke in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time, checking after each go to see if the gelatine has dissolved. It won't take more than a minute. Add to the orange juice mixture. Divide between 6 pretty glasses ( you can use whiskey glasses, martini glasses, whatever floats your boat) and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
  3. Place a saucepan of water over low heat. Place chocolate, butter and coffee in a glass bowl and place over pan until melted, stirring about a bit every now and then. 
  4. Remove from the heat and beat in the egg yolks. 
  5. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold in in three stages. 
  6. Divide between the glasses and carefully place on top of jelly. Return to fridge for 3-4 hours.
  7. Place the castor sugar, water and lemon juice over medium- low heat, whisking to dissolve the castor sugar. Allow to boil for 2 minutes then add the raspberries. Leave on the heat for one minute then remove. Blend in food processor and allow to cool. 
  8. Just before serving, spoon the raspberry coulis over the mousse. Now indulge. Ooh la la.

2 comments:

Bushfairy86 said...

This looks super yummy! please can you send me one? :)

Carina Truyts said...

Hmmm I would but postage is a tricky one. Maybe just google image 'sunset Barcelona'or.. you know.. make it:)