Cranberry jelly with plums, litchis and mint
Serves 8 ( reduce amount of fresh fruit for less people)
You don't have to use all the different juices just cranberry is good, in fact, you can try any fruit juice you like.
- 350ml cranberry juice ( liquifruit’s cranberry and apple works well)
- 100ml pomegranate juice ( available from Woolworths)
- 50ml clear apple juice
- 100g castor sugar
- 10g powdered gelatine
For the dessert:
- 5 ripe plums, sliced
- 10 litchis, peeled, de- pipped and halved
- 200g blueberries
- Handful of mint, chiffonaded (keep a few whole)
- Zest of 1- 2 limes
- For the jelly, place all the juice in a saucepan and add the sugar. Whisk over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved then bring to the boil for two minutes. Remove from heat
- Place 30ml of water in a glass jug and sprinkle the gelatine on top. Place in the microwave for 10 -20 seconds until the gelatine has dissolved. Add to the hot cranberry mixture.
- Pour into a square or rectangular plastic container that is not too large or shallow. You want to cut the jelly into cubes so it should be either one or two cm deep when you pour it in. Refrigerate for eight hours or overnight.
- To serve, place the fruit randomly on a platter, sprinkle with the lime zest and mint. Un-mould the jelly and cut into 1 or 2 cm cubes and dot around. You might not use all the jelly- keep the rest in fridge, what a treat.