As you can see, my hand slipped a little with the forest green food colouring. Which left things with a little lumo- blueish tint. Ah well. All's well that tastes delicious.
Pistachio and Dark Chocolate Ice- cream.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 80g castor sugar
- 5ml vanilla essence ( I use Nomu- it's lank expensive, but worth it)
- 500ml cream
- 250ml peeled pistachios
- 250ml peeled pistachios, busted in a blender until semi- chopped and fine
- a FEW drops green food colouring
- 80g dark chocolate, finely grated. I used Lindt with a Touch of Salt as I had some hanging around- great.
- Place the egg yolks and castor sugar in a glass bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Whisk until ribbon stage (That's when you can make a figure of eight with your whisk and it remains for 8 seconds. )
- Whisk in the vanilla essence and half of the cream, and then add the pistachios. Pop in the freezer for half an hour ( or the fridge for an hour or) until well cooled.
- Add the grated chocolate.
- Whip the cream until peaks form and fold into the cooled mixture. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold in carefully.
- If you have a ice- cream machine, you know what to do. If you don't; place mixture in a bowl and freeze. Whisk up every half hour or so or whenever you remember. The more you whisk it while freezing, the smoother it will be, as you break up ice- crystals every time. After four hours you can leave it alone.